Kyle Klingman, the current Director of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum keeps his thumb on the pulse of wrestling. It's not just his job, but it's his passion. As subscribers to Short Time know, Kyle hosts “On The Mat” on 1650thefan.com in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls region of Iowa on Wednesdays at 5 p.m. Central. Due to Chicago Cubs baseball, which is aired on the station, there was no show on May 28. So we catch up with Kyle for a Short Time/On The Mat cooperative and talk about topics in college and international wrestling. It's a bit of a reunion, as Short Time host Jason Bryant teamed with Klingman in 2008-09 at the Wrestling 411 project.
Among those topics discussed in this episode:
- Thoughts about the open Division I head coaching jobs at Eastern Michigan, Northern Colorado and Penn.
- Opinion on the recent hire Purdue made by picking up Nebraska assistant coach Tony Ersland to be its new head coach.
- Recapping the choices for coaches at West Virginia, Campbell, Air Force, Navy and VMI.
- The NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee report, which recommends the Big 12 no longer serve as an automatic qualifier with just four teams.
- The U.S. World Team Trials coming up in Madison, Wisconsin and the separate Greco-Roman Trials in Daytona Beach, Florida.
- The upcoming Dan Gable Celebrity Golf Tournament featuring host of ESPN's Mike & Mike in the morning, Mike Golic.
It's all in Episode 62 of the Short Time Wrestling Podcast.
The Short Time Wrestling Podcast is presented by FlipsWrestling