We go back in time as we launch the first episode of the Virginia Wrestling Roundup, a show focused on all things surrounding the Virginia Amateur Wrestling Association, the USA Wrestling state association for Virginia.
Back in 1997, Mat Talk Online and the Virginia Wrestling Roundup were the two main websites in Virginia covering high school, college and offseason wrestling. With Mat Talk Online coming back in a new form, we felt it was fitting to pay homage to Virginia Wrestling Roundup by naming the show after it.
The first episode features VAWA State Chairman Bill Swink, who also serves as the head coach at Colonial Forge High School in Stafford, Andrew Farrar, the Executive Director of VAWA, and Bryan Hazard, the head coach at Robinson Secondary who's served many roles within the state chapter.
The show will be produced monthly.
The first episode features the following topics:
- Virginia coaches who participated on international USA Wrestling tours.
- The move to line bracketing in Fargo.
- Andrew Farrar's role as Executive Director.
- How Team Virginia has changed how it handles the long trip to Fargo.
- New youth wrestling leagues and clubs popping up in Virginia.
- The slew of college commitments coming from the state.
- The dreaded six-class public school alignment by the VHSL.
- Developing and fostering the club program system in Virginia.
- Creating more opportunities for women's wrestling in Virginia.
Information on all things VAWA can be found at the online home at www.virginiawrestling.com
The Virginia Wrestling Roundup is presented in part by Cliff Keen Athletic. Find wrestling gear, equipment and more at CliffKeen.com